The HiRes Ultra 3D cochlear implants have a specifically designed magnet that allows safe MRI scanning with the magnet in place, without angular restrictions of the head, surgical removal of the magnet or a bandaging protocol.
Do not allow patients with a HiRes cochlear implant to be in the area of an MRI
scanner unless the following conditions have been met:
- The external sound processor and headpiece must be removed before entering a room containing an MRI scanner.
- Verify that the implant, or both implants if bilaterally implanted, are compatible for conducting an MRI before proceeding. Failure to do so can lead to device movement, device damage, magnet movement, patient discomfort, or trauma and pain to the patient.
NOTE: MRI procedures are contraindicated for CLARION (C1 and CII) cochlear implant recipients. For information regarding MRI use with HiRes 90K, HiRes 90K Advantage, and HiRes Ultra cochlear implants, please contact Advanced Bionics Technical Support.
NOTE: MRI safety was evaluated only for the HiRes Ultra 3D. Interactions between non-Advanced Bionics implants and the HiRes Ultra 3D during MRI are unknown.
- The recommended minimum duration of time post implant surgery prior to undergoing an MRI scan is 2 to 4 weeks in order to allow any inflammation to subside.
- An MRI scan is not recommended if the patient has a fever.
- During the MRI procedure, you may experience pain, pressure, or discomfort. If this occurs, please notify your physician.
- Please consult with your physician prior to an MRI to determine if the benefits of an MRI are worthwhile over other imaging techniques.
- Removal of the implant magnet is contraindicated for the HiRes Ultra 3D cochlear implant.
MRI Safety Information:
Testing has demonstrated that the HiRes Ultra 3D cochlear implant is MR Conditional. Unilateral and bilateral recipients with this device with magnet in place can be safely scanned in a horizontal closed bore quadrature coil MR system meeting the following conditions: